Heather Flores

My photo
California, United States
On the periphery of interesting...

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Navigating Social Networks

With Social Networking at an all-time high and growing, I couldn't help but become a beta-tester for a new site:  Pinwheel.com  I discovered Pinwheel through a Gizmodo article, posted on Facebook:  Why You'll soon Be Using a Wonderful Little Service Called Pinwheel to Discover the World Well, what really happened was that I tried to enter a contest by posting the best response to the Gizmodo article, couldn't figure out how to add a map point or whatever to my comment, went to Pinwheel myself and signed up for access.  Then, I was invited by the site itself.  But, if you'd like an invite, let me know.  I won't make you insert a map in my blog.  

I tried to advertise Pinwheel on another networking site I belong to, TarValon.net which is a phpBB website devoted to uniting worldwide fans of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time fantasy series.  Although TV.net fans are notoriously anxious to try out new things, I haven't had a single taker yet for Pinwheel.  Weird.  I was worried that too many people would be interested and I only have three invites, but I guess without discovering it for themselves, a solicited invite is perhaps not special enough. 

Is it possible I didn't get an overwhelming response because people are saturated with Social Networking?  I don't think so.  I think people find niches for themselves which allow them to connect with others in the most efficient way to communicate and "be discovered".  Once they find a niche that works, it may be difficult to try another experience until you can hold it in your hands and see how it fits into your life without having it feel like a commitment. 

For example, first joining Facebook (FB) is like being a rock star...people from your past come out of the woodwork to "Friend" you.  I remember being thrilled with this experience, only to have an existential crisis some days later when a) my multiple "worlds" collided, (e.g.) the High School Geek that I was and the Professional Woman I am (well, and still a geek), the divorced parents, my online friends and my professional work life, etc. and b) I had to deal with the 20-something-odd-year leftover emotions from being that übergeek in High School.  (True, I wasn't ostracized in High School, but it wasn't that much fun for me either, I was just more of a peripheral afterthought for most of my classmates.)  At the point of existential crisis and working three different sites to broaden my social network I could either have abandoned FB or continued.  Years later, FB is still one of my main modes of communicating with others. 

Now, I've hit my stride on FB and am part of a social demographic of women of a certain age who are comfortable with this medium.  Damn!  I hate being a statistic!  Perhaps that's why I like to seek out new opportunities? 

Well, anyway, before Facebook, I was entirely devoted (and still am) to TarValon.net and was a sometimes proliphic journalist on LiveJournal.com.  Sadly, I can't even remember my LiveJournal (LJ) password at the moment.  I can't remember the last time I posted there.  Thus is the nature of social networks, fun until something better comes along.  *feels slightly guilty for neglect of LiveJournal, reviews last LJ post from 2009 when I told LJ I'd taken FB as a new "lover", feels less guilty...at least I said goodbye*

I've tried Twitter, I know its quite popular, but I'm too dumb to get it.  It doesn't make sense to me the way Facebook does.  Perhaps I'm too old for that demographic?  I am an avid Pinner on Pinterest, another relatively new site.  I am addicted to creating boards and adding pictures to my boards.  I don't feel the "connectedness" to others that I do on Facebook and TV.net, however.  But, I feel a momentary thrill when others pin my pins, and I feel a momentary thrill when I discover a new pin that I can add to my boards, or that causes me to create a whole new board! And yes, I am also part of a certain demographic on Pinterest as well...damn statistics making me feel old and matronly!!!  Next thing I know, Target will be sending me Targeted mailers for products reminding me how middle-aged and matronly I am.    

Perhaps that's why I was attracted to Pinwheel, it makes me feel like I'm on the edge of something, and not so matronly after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment