Heather Flores

My photo
California, United States
On the periphery of interesting...

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Connections

So, in my last article, I forgot to mention Linked In 
Linked in is a social networking site that helps professionals link with other professionals and share their expertise and resumes with one another.  It was my experience with Linked In today that started me on my Social Networking blog, posted previously. 

I was thinking of the "connections" we experience as social networking enriches our lives.  Or, perhaps just fills up those empty spots in our lives that could be filled with other things like exercising, work, eating and other tasks that are not amenable to procrastination. 

Anyway, I saw, on my mobile app, that I had some updates on Linked In.  I immediately went to discover if I had finally been discovered.  I don't know what I hope to be discovered for, but being "discovered" is an exciting prospect.  At least if it results in something that makes you rich. 

So, while perusing my updates, I see that a former High School friend was a Presenter at the 20/20 awards in February 2012.  Wow! Wait, what are the 20/20 awards?  So, I type in a search and come across a link to the 20/20 awards on nowhere other than Blogspot (which hosts Calamity Brain, btw).  The depth of these social connections is astounding!  Of course, I've never been to the 20/20 awards, and have never heard of the 20/20 awards, BUT, a friend from High School with whom I am connected on FB and Linked In was a presenter at this illustrious event.  Question, is he a friend, or acquaintance since I clearly don't know him well enough to a) know what the 20/20 awards are b) ask him what the 20/20 awards are and c) know that he had presented at the 20/20 awards until I had an update on my Linked In?  

Anyway, that aside, I learned that the 20/20 Awards are an award ceremony to look back at those films that won Oscars 20 years ago and re-evaluates the Academy's decisions with the benefit of, you got it, the 20/20 vision of hindsight!  Their blog on Blogger informs us that they are in no way associated with the Academy or the Oscars.  Therefore, I will not post a picture of an Oscar here. 

The Silence of the Lambs won 20/20 awards in this past ceremony.  It was the original winner on many counts for Oscars in 1991.  I think the awards are called a "Felix"  Perhaps I'll ask my friend/acquaintance.  While reviewing this year's winners I saw a movie I'd never heard of before:  Barton Fink starring John Turturro, John Goodman and Judy Davis.  Mr. Goodman won a Felix for Best Supporting Actor.  Well, of course, this required me to look up the film.  It is a 1991 Coen Brothers film set in 1941.  How did I miss this? 

Well, anyway, thanks to Social Networking and my friend, or acquaintance, I have learned about a film I never heard of which now has not one, but two Felix awards.  Perhaps I'll find the time between updating and reviewing my Social Networks to actually see the film.   

No comments:

Post a Comment